Code of Conduct
Nueces Mosque is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment for all our members. To promote safety and comfort, all individuals are asked to act appropriately at all times when in our facility or participating in our programs.
We expect all persons using Nueces Mosque and its facilities to act maturely, to behave responsibly, and to respect the rights and dignity of others. Our Members’ Code of Conduct outlines prohibited actions. The activities listed below are not an all-inclusive list of behaviors considered inappropriate in our facilities or at our programs:
– Using or possessing alcohol or illegal substances on Nueces Mosque property or at Nueces Mosque sponsored programs
– Smoking on Nueces Mosque property – Nueces Mosque and its property is a smoke-free environment
– Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
– Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any menacing behavior
– Physical assault
– Verbal abuse; including threats, vulgar language, swearing, shouting, derogatory, racial and/or ethnic slurs
– Sexual harassment; lewd conversation, behavior or materials
– Inappropriate, immodest, or revealing attire
– Theft, vandalism or behavior that results in the loss or damage of property
– Loitering within or on the grounds of Nueces Mosque and its property, including begging and panhandling
– Illegal parking of vehicles on the property
– Littering on Nueces Mosque property
– Inappropriate interactions with the opposite gender while on the property.
– Inciting trouble, rebellion, and/or ‘fitna’, among members and non-members to attempt to destabilize Nueces Mosque and Nueces management for the detriment of Nueces Mosque, by means of email, social media and forming cliques, and inciting harm to any Nueces Mosque personnel
The Nueces Mosque Leadership reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse, is or has been a registered sex offender, has ever been found guilty of any offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or habit forming and/or dangerous drugs, or is presently or habitually under the influence of dangerous drugs or chemicals, narcotics, or intoxicating beverages.
Every patron of Nueces Mosque must adhere to instructions provided by onsite Security.
Members and guests are encouraged to take responsibility for their personal comfort and safety by asking any person whose behavior threatens their comfort to refrain from such conduct. Anyone who feels uncomfortable in confronting a person directly should report the behavior to a member of Nueces Mosque Leadership ([email protected]*)
Issue/Grievance Escalation Procedure
If a member has an issue or complaint with any aspect of Nueces Mosque facilities, management or leadership, they are to follow the procedure below:
1. Email [email protected] while clearly identifying the issue and any person(s) involved. Allow 7 days for a response. If the issue is not resolved within 14 days (or by an alternative timeline given in the email response) of original notification, then proceed to Step 2
2. Submit a follow up email requesting a meeting with a representative from the Executive Committee & Board of Directors to discuss the issue. Allow 7 days for a resolution. If the issue is not addressed or resolved within 7 days, proceed to Step 3
3. Request a meeting with the entire Board of Directors and address the issue in person at a Board of Directors meeting. At this stage, the issue(s) should be resolved. If, for some reason, the member feels that the matter has not been resolved, then document all of the actions (if any) taken by the Board/staff members and send an email to [email protected]
Nueces Mosque Leadership cannot guarantee that all issues raised by individuals or groups will be resolved. However, we ensure that every valid issue will be reviewed in a timely manner.
Members and guests, at all times, must follow orders and directions provided by the Nueces Mosque Leadership.The Nueces Mosque Leadership is eager to be of assistance. Members and guests should not hesitate to notify a member in leadership if assistance is needed.
In order to carry out these policies, we ask that members and guests identify themselves to the Nueces Mosque leadership when asked.
A specialized task force at Nueces Mosque, approved by the Nueces Mosque Executive Committee President and Board of Directors Chairperson, will investigate major incident reports. Nueces Mosque membership privileges may be suspended or terminated as a result of the task force’s decision, with the consultation of the Nueces Mosque Imam, if it has been discerned that a violation of the Nueces Mosque Code of Conduct has occurred.
If there is a violation of the Nueces Mosque Code of Conduct, the repercussions are:
– First Violation – Oral/Verbal Warning
– Second Violation – Written Warning
– Third Violation – Suspension of membership and/or restriction of access to Nueces Mosque facilities by way of a restraining or criminal trespass order with pursuant of prosecution
The Nueces Mosque Leadership reserves the right to amend this document with one week’s notice to the community.
*[email protected] gets forwarded to the Executive Committee President, Executive Committee Vice President & Board of Directors Director of Student Engagement. This team will consult the Imam and the rest of the Nueces leadership on a need to basis.
Nueces Mosque Zero Tolerance Policy
The Nueces Mosque leadership, members, and volunteers are subject to the Nueces Mosque Zero Tolerance Policy while representing Nueces Mosque within or outside of Nueces Mosque.
This policy applies to all forms of harassment and discrimination. Nueces Mosque absolutely prohibits harassment or discrimination based on sex, age, disability, perceived disability, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Examples of harassment include but are not limited to, racial or sexual slurs written or oral, name calling, racist or sexist jokes, negative stereotyping, physical assault, bullying, threats, demeaning pictures, posters and graffiti.
The Zero Tolerance policy enforces that no form of discriminatory or harassing conduct by or towards any Nueces Mosque staff, Board member, volunteer or community member, vendor, or other person will be tolerated. Nueces Mosque is committed to enforcing its policy at all levels within Nueces Mosque. Any Nueces Mosque Board member, staff, volunteer, or member who engages in prohibited discrimination or harassment will be subject to discipline, up to and including immediate discharge from employment or removal from leadership role or volunteer role for a first offense or suspended access from the Nueces Mosque premises.
Anyone found engaging in any of the actions listed below has violated the Nueces Mosque Zero Tolerance Policy and will be subject to disciplinary action as mentioned above:
– Offensive and unwelcome sexual invitations or sexual assault
– Unwanted touching, patting or leering
– Spoken or implied quid pro quo for sexual favors
– Inquiries or comments about a person’s sex life
– Offensive and unwelcome conduct of sexual nature, including sexually graphic spoken comments
– Offensive comments transmitted by e-mail or another messaging system
– Offensive or suggestive images or graphics whether physically present or accessed over the internet, social media, phones, text messaging
– Possession of or use of sexually suggestive objects
– Offensive and unwelcome physical contact of a sexual nature including the touching of another’s body; the touching or display of one’s own body, or any similar contact
– Harassment, fighting, or engaging in disorderly conduct or retaliation against anyone who files the complaint
– Inappropriate or unwelcome focus/comments on a person’s physical attributes or appearance
– Use of narcotics, alcohol, drugs, or substance abuse on Nueces Mosque premises, or being under the influence of the aforementioned items
This policy will also be applicable to all visiting scholars and speakers that attend Nueces Mosque. Any allegations, proven guilty or not, will be taken very seriously. Individuals found to have violated any allegations mentioned will not be allowed to deliver Jumma Khutbas, Khateras, lead prayers, or conduct any kind of religious program at Nueces Mosque.
Reporting Harrassment Nueces Mosque Zero Tolerance Policy
Nueces Mosque is committed to taking all reasonable steps to prevent harassment and will make every reasonable effort promptly and completely to address and correct any harassment that may occur. However, Nueces Mosque cannot take prompt and effective remedial action notified of any incidents of harassment.
Every report of harassment will be investigated promptly and impartially, with every effort to maintain its confidentiality. The complainant and the accused will be informed of the results of the investigation. If the Nueces Mosque Leadership finds that its policy has been violated, it will take appropriate corrective and remedial action, up to and including discharge of the offending person, and/or similarly appropriate action towards offending vendors, contractors, or members.
Nueces Mosque will internally investigate any allegation of harassment and will not hesitate to involve law enforcement at any stage of the process. Nueces Mosque shall take all complaints seriously.
Anyone who believes that they have been subjected to harassment of any kind has the responsibility to report it immediately to a member of the Nueces Mosque Leadership. For the complete list of Nueces Mosque Leadership and their contact details, please refer to this document.